I am obsessed with Buche de Chevre

I have decided to dedicate nearly all of this post to the most amazing cheese I have discovered. It is called "Buche de Chevre", it is a soft-ripened goat cheese produced in the Poitou-Charentes region in the Loire Valley of central France. It is aged for a minimum of 7 days, comes with a soft white rind and is extremely flaky and tender on the inside. The flavour is complex, despite being bold and slightly tangy, it has a sweet milkiness, a soft-caramel like flavour, that makes it an incredible cheese to savour. 

I randomly selected it from the cheese cabinet to try, and it turned out to be one of the most delicious things I have ever tried. You must try it! Today, I am showing you three ways to enjoy the cheese; in a cheeseboard, in an omelete.  Hopefully encourage you to become obsessed with me as well!

Cheese Board including Buche de Chevre:

It is winter in New Zealand, and I love to use seasonal fruits such as Tamarillo, Persimmons, Pears and Fig to create delicious cheeseboards to share with my family.  To enjoy Buche de Chevre (Bottom Left), drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, top with freshly ground black pepper and freshly picked thyme leaves and serve with a raw local honey. I served this with fig and ginger oatcakes, toasted macadamias and a strong blue cheese with quince paste and brie with fig jam. (All amazingly good combinations worth trying).

French Herb Omelet with Buche de Chevre:

I love a classic french omelette, as it is so smooth, silky, buttery and light. To make it even better, I flavour it with herbs and fill it with creamy, milky and sweet Buche de Chevre. Omelettes should only take 1 minute to make, so make sure you have everything prepared to serve immediately. If you have never made a french omelet before, I  recommend you watch Julia Child (Master of French Cooking) make an omelet  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RThnq3-d6PY before beginning. 

Clues to making French Herb Omelet with Buche de Chevre

This is my omelet and I served it with sautéed mushrooms. The cheese is tucked inside so thats why you cant see it!

1. Using these helpful links, learn how to make a french omelette.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RThnq3-d6PY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7R4olnqc7A
http://food52.com/blog/9427-how-to-make-a-french-omelette

2. Make the omelette using 2 large eggs, salt and 1 tsp minced chives/parsley/oregano. Make sure you use plenty of butter to cook the omelet.

3. Add a handful of buche de chevre when omelette is nearly set, but hasn't been rolled.

4. Gloss finished omelette with butter and sprinkle with chopped herbs and black pepper.




0 comments:

 

About me

Hi I'm Cindy.